Competition for medals in long distance24 September was a competition for medals in long distance near Zvārtes iezis. MarikaTeini from Finland won the long distance in women Elite and Frederick Tranchand from France was the winner in men Elite. Both celebrated double victories, because they were also winners on Friday in middle distance.
74 runners were entered for the men Elite, and 55 finished. 8 did not finish the course and 11 did not show up. Frederick Tranchand was convincing during the entire course. Timo Sild and Lucas Basset fought for the second place. Timo Sild was more accurate and 11 seconds faster.
The gold medal in women Elite went to MarikaTeini. Up to the middle of the distance, Sari Anttonen was in the lead, but made a mistake in the final part which cost her the first place. She was 1:32 behind the winner Marika Teini. Isia Basset from France was the third.
Both winners admitted that the courses were demanding – the visibility was poor due to the green areas, bet they managed to get used to it soon. Euromeeting has helped them to understand the physical and technical challenges they will have to face to demonstrate good performance in further world level events to take place in Latvia.
Runners from Latvia demonstrated good performance in the long distance. Andris Jubelis was No. 12 in the men Elite; also Dāvis Dišlers did well, he was No. 18, though his speciality is sprint and relays. Two of our women runners were among the best ten – Inga Dambe was No. 9 and Aija Skrastiņa No. 10.
Long Distance results
1. Frederic Tranchand (FRA France) 1:27:24 (+ 00:00)
2. Timo Sild (EST Estonia) 1:30:09 (+ 02:45)
3. Lucas Basset (FRA France) 1:30:20 (+ 02:56)
4. Dmitrii Nakonechnyi 1:30:23 (+ 02:59)
5. Vincent Coupat (FRA France) 1:31:11 (+ 03:47)
1. MarikaTeini (FIN SK Pohjantahti) 1:15:05 (+ 00:00)
2. Sari Anttonen (FIN Finland) 1:16:37 (+ 01:32)
3. Isia Basset (FRA France) 1:17:52 (+ 02:47)
4. Denisa Kosova (CZE Czech Republic) 1:18:23 (+ 03:18)
4. Jana Knapova (CZE Czech Republic) 1:18:53 (+ 03:48)